- Square shape
- Steel pans used
- The steel pan provides superior heat conductivity and caramelization on the crust (the mark of the great Detroit-style pizza).
- Thick crust – light and airy inside, crispy outside.
- Cheese is spread to the edges of the pan.
- As the pizza bakes the cheese slowly melts down the
sides and forms a delicious, caramelized rim of crust.
- After the cheese, any additional toppings can be
placed on top
- Last is the sauce – placed on top and in rows This is
why it’s earned the nicknames “red top pizza” and
“upside down pizza.” Placing the sauce on top allows for
a fluffier crust.